“I believe are local-isms are quaint. My candy grandma-in-law used to name morning ‘the forenoon’ and an umbrella an ‘umbrell.’ My mother used to ‘take a shar’ and ‘plant flars.’”
This Retro York Facebook group commenter additionally drew that means from these “local-isms.”
“The world can be a greater place if we might embrace others uniqueness.”
Then she threw this one in about this Pennsylvania Dutch delicacy made with potatoes and lard.
“Don’t get me began on the ‘a fasnacht is only a donut’ debate… .”
That’s simply certainly one of greater than 1,000 responses to a Retro York question from a reader: “Finest method to inform somebody isn’t from York?”
It’s sort of the flip facet of a few books by the fictional Curvin Diffenderfer from just a few years again – “You Can Tell You’re a Yorker If … “ and “You’re a Yorker” – written from a veteran York County resident’s viewpoint. These books prompted these with years in York County to chortle at themselves. And newcomers mentioned, “Now I do know that ‘some time’ means whilst you wait.”
What Retro York is about
Any such dialogue is welcomed in Retro York, a York Every day File social media group that blends tales, movies and images from website moderators and, extra importantly, from group members:
Retro York – fb.com/teams/retroyork – is a mixture of severe, tutorial, useful and emotional posts about county and regional individuals, locations and issues akin to:
- Considerate dialogue about native and regional historical past, together with whether or not York was the primary capital of america and the prospect of returning to the tolling of our roads.
- Crowdsourcing that features queries from readers about long-sought household analysis questions or questions on homes or buildings they personal.
- Notices and livestreams regarding native historical past organization-sponsored displays and occasions.
- Information about our individuals, previous and current. For instance, Retro York follows artists and completed individuals who have achieved on native, regional or nationwide ranges. The acts of in the present day’s achievers is perhaps in tomorrow’s historical past books.
- And, after all, posts about York County and regional tradition, akin to member Cameron Klepacz’s query: “Finest method to inform somebody isn’t from York?”
The variety of the tales on Retro York, layered with member likes, feedback and shares, is creating 4% a month membership progress in Retro York.
Finest method to inform somebody isn’t from York
To present nonmembers a style of the spirit of the members, listed here are 20 responses to Cameron’s “Finest Means” query (with gentle modifying):
- They use the phrases “to be” … it must be washed versus….it wants washed … .
- They hit each pothole. As a substitute of dodging them.
- Hears the manufacturing facility steam whistle for the first time and freaks out.
- Doesn’t know what hog maw is … .
- They’ve by no means heard of Sechrist scorching canine
- Doesn’t know what dippy eggs are.
- If they offer you an deal with for GPS, they in all probability aren’t from Pa. in any respect. As a substitute, people from Pa. go “you understand the place the outdated tater farm is by Runkles?” after which I say “Nope” after which they go, “effectively you go down by there … .”
- Oh, and are you aware how many individuals name buying carts “buggies” in Pa.?
- Announce the place they’re from (New York, Baltimore or Philadelphia), then spout their disdain for York however nonetheless reside right here for a few years simply to complain about it.
- They do not notice Yoe is completely different from York.
- I now reside in Florida and have been for 25 plus years. Anyway, my neighbor can also be a York transplant and she or he made hen corn soup, however she said – and I agree – it does not style the identical except you might be really in York making it … .
- I by no means mentioned Youse, however I did say rutch (squirm) and stroobley (messy hair).
- My Grandmother all the time mentioned “Don’t be so ‘shushley’ (squirm) unsure concerning the spelling. Pronounced Shush-lee.
- A former boss informed me to choose up one thing in Redline. I checked the map and couldn’t discover it. I introduced a map in to ask the place Redline was, and he pointed to Crimson Lion, Pa.
- Scrapple with King syrup.
- How about “It is actually makin’ down” on the market. Which implies snowing onerous, or downpouring rain.
- How about that giant metropolis in Maryland with the nice Crab Muffins … I imply Bawlmer!
- They assume pot pie is a pie.
- I’m new to York and I’ve discovered a lot from studying this put up!
Curvin makes comeback
This “finest manner” query, certainly, helped instruct Retro York members about regional tradition and historical past.
It introduced all corners of York County collectively – a serious objective within the 12,500-member Retro York since its founding 4 ½ years in the past.
And it introduced knowledgeable out of retirement. York County resident Lee Woodmansee, aka Curvin Diffenderfer, joined the enjoyable in responding to the “finest manner” query:
“They do not know what you imply,” he wrote, “whenever you say, ‘The paper is all.’” (Which means all performed.)
If you wish to be a part of within the enjoyable on the “Finest method to inform somebody isn’t from York?”, simply kind this into your browser: https://tinyurl.com/57ulnrcp.
Jim McClure is the retired editor of the York Every day File and has authored or co-authored seven books on York County historical past. Attain him at firstname.lastname@example.org.